Boredom must have overcome you, for you to decide to come here! I’d suggest cleaning the bathroom instead..
But, if you are THAT interested, I’ll just chuck in stuff I’ve answered in questionnaires, because I am atrocious at writing about myself!
The southern coast of Australia.
- Married? Kids?
Hell no & hell no
3 cats: Trilogy The Old Grumpess Tonk, Phryne the Domestic Goddess and Frost Beast the Barking Mad Bengal.
And Iris the Black Book Day Portuguese Water Dog.
- Favourite childhood book?
The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton
- Bad book habit?
- Do you have an e-reader?
Yes, otherwise all those eARCs would be pretty useless! That and I can rarely afford the $25 for a paperback from the store. And I can’t wait the 3 months shipping when buying physical books online. I’m broke and impatient! Plus, I have trouble holding physical books due to the Arsehat disease.
- Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
Usually 1 prepublication, 1 published and an audiobook. I use whispersync for voice a lot (not an ad for the company) so I can flip between audio and text on shitty days and when I’m travelling.
- Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
I probably read a larger range of books.. I am much happier to explore if I’m not paying ;)
- What is your reading comfort zone?
I don’t actually have one! I suppose anything in a second language (French or German) can make my brain hurt, since I don’t regularly use them anymore.
- Can you read on the bus?
No, not on anything that moves. Not unless someone else wants to clean up the vomit!
Hence the whispersync..
- Favourite place to read?
In bed or the comfy recliner.. Outside if it’s not blistering hot!
- What is your policy on book lending?
If you wreck it, you replace it!
- Do you ever dog-ear books?
No, I am a bit precious about them.
- Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Only in pencil.
- And in text books?
I tend to write more than what’s contained in the actual text!
- What is your favourite language to read in?
- What makes you love a book?
Good question… Usually it’s because I am able to get so caught up in it, I forget I’m reading.
- What will inspire you to recommend a book?
- Favourite genre?
Fantasy and Historical Fiction (hence the blog!) close 2nd is scifi.
- Genres you rarely read?
Self help and sport non-fiction .
- Favourite biography?
Any of Stephen Fry’s meanderings.
- Have you ever read a self-help book?
I did, but it was more like a ‘do what I say’ directional.
- Favourite cookbook?
The user manual for my airfryer.
- Favourite reading snack?
Pepsi Max or Flat white coffee and Mini babybel cheese.
- Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
Anything by Donna Tartt. Probably because I don’t think they deserve it.
- How often do you agree with critics about a book?
Depends on the publication! Not often though.
- How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
Horrified. But, I am always honest, no point writing it if not. They can pay somebody to lie.. It’s called advertising..
- If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose?
- The most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
How can the written word be intimidating? Ink and pages.. It’s only how you respond to other people’s reactions that can change that before you read it.
- Favourite Poets?
Emily Dickinson and Keats
- Favourite fictional character?
Locke Lamora from the Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch.
- Favourite fictional villain?
Patrick Bateman from American Psycho
- Books I’m most likely to bring on holiday?
Whatever the kindle store sells, usually releases I’ve been wishlusting for some time.. Though it’s been many years since I’ve been on holidays.
- The longest I’ve gone without reading.
The first three years of my life.
- Name a book that you could/would not finish.
50 Shades of Grey.
- What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
My cat Frost attacking my toes or the book.
- Favourite film adaptation of a novel?
Lord of The Rings.
- Most disappointing film adaptation?
Most of them. I do try to separate the movie from the novel, but sometimes it’s harder to do than say!
- The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
$250 aud. I was having a horrible day and needed cheering.
- How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Always, if buying from a bookstore.
- What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
The only book I’ve not finished is 50 shades. It was due to the writing, not the porn actually..
- Do you like to keep your books organized?
No, I’m not addicted to my bookshelf. Though I do keep ARCs and bought books separate.
- Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
Keep. Note the Hoarding.
- Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
- Name a book or books that made you angry.
Angry is a strong word..
- A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
I don’t have expectations really!
- A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
Favourite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
What exactly is guilt-free? It would assume I feel guilty about reading some things in the first place! A book, is a book, is a book!