bookfrivolity

Book Frivolity.....

Speculative Fiction Reviews, Interviews, Art and Whatever Else!

Stone of Farewell
Tad Williams
The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns)
Django Wexler
Tallwood
Jeremy Kool, Steve Gerlach & Amanda Kool

The Last Quarrel: Episode 5

The Last Quarrel: Episode 5 - Duncan Lay See the complete review posted on Book Frivolity. Check out other Fantasy and Historical Fiction ruminations there as well!

POV's: Multiple
Narrative: Third Person, Past Tense, Subjective.

With an added dash of reanimated corpses!

So, Duncan Lay is evil. He certainly doesn't deny it, and so the world should know, the man sits in his evil lair, with his evil fluffy cat and his sharks with frickin laser beams on their heads.. I'm joking (or am I?), but if you don't get your 'Oh no you didn't!' face on when you finish this book, you are quite a lot less invested in the characters of this series than I!

This is the last episode of the first book in the trilogy, and all of a sudden, you will be chomping at the bit to know how that intriguing prologue in episode 1 actually comes about, because Lay knows how to write a full blown cliffhanger. I can't even complain about this one, because really, if you want the reader to be in discomfort until the next book comes out, and in turn be compelled to read it, you do it like this does. Oh yes, discomfort. Nothing is really wrapped up, except maybe a characters life, but you are left in the full knowledge, Gaelland is seriously messed up and the shit storm is only really just brewing. I refer back to the Evil.

I have been really impressed with the writing in this series. It's always been clean, concise and so easy to read. Its an understandably hard task for epic fantasy to keep things compact and thesaurus free, but this book is a pretty good example that it can be done! I am unsure who edited the book, but they should be lauded for their work. It is about as streamlined as you can make it, without chopping chunks out of the integral storyline or the relationships between characters, whilst maintaining multiple POV's. Sometimes less is more!

I keep harping on about this, but the portrayal of family really is so well done in this series. The scenes between Kerrin and Fallon in this episode are spot on. It's a strange experience reading a child's POV that is written like a child might actually perceive things, rather than how an adult wishes they would be perceived. There are a lot of child perspectives out the in fantasy land, but none of them ring quite as true as this does. That goes for most of the characters in this book, there is a sense of realism to them that isn't too common around these traps.

Overall, if you are looking for an epic adventure fantasy that is well grounded, well plotted and with characters you could almost pretend are your neighbours, here 'tis!

loved-it

Harcopy Worthy? I think there is going to be a print edition of the omnibus, so probably!

If you want more ramblings about this series, you can checkout the links at the top of this post to see episodes 1 through 4 as well!

-If you are looking for the complete edition, rather than the episodes, it goes on sale the 23/4/2015!