bookfrivolity

Book Frivolity.....

Speculative Fiction Reviews, Interviews, Art and Whatever Else!

Stone of Farewell
Tad Williams
The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns)
Django Wexler
Tallwood
Jeremy Kool, Steve Gerlach & Amanda Kool

I just found Serial Box! BookBurners Episode One.

Bookburners: Badge, Book, and Candle (Season 1, Episode 1) - Mur Lafferty, Max Gladstone, Margaret Dunlap, Brian Francis Slattery

So, I just found this funky monkeys idea/website called Serial Box! It's a company that releases books in serial form, and are created to emulate the way we watch a TV series! So Dickensian..,.

I just read BookBurners Episode One: Badge, Book and Candle, collaboratively written by Max Gladstone, Margaret Dunlap, Mur Lafferty and Brian Francis Slattery  (that you can download for free at the moment!) in about 35 minutes. It was a really fun, action packed urban fantasy, that is stylized quite like an episode of a show you might watch on the SyFy channel. A fully formed story, that's part of a bigger series.. but book!

BookBurners is the only serial being produced at the moment; it's 16 episodes, with 3 having been already released-

Magic is real, and hungry—trapped in ancient texts and artifacts, only a few who discover it survive to fight back. Detective Sal Brooks is a survivor. Freshly awake to just what dangers are lurking, she joins a Vatican-backed black-ops anti-magic squad: Team Three of the Societas Librorum Occultorum. Together they stand between humanity and magical apocalypse. Some call them the Bookburners. They don’t like the label.

There is a new series starting at the end of October called Tremontaine that's been created by Ellen Kushner (known for her Riverside series), which looks like it will be right up my ally! -

Welcome to Tremontaine, the prequel to Ellen Kushner’s beloved Riverside series that began with Swordspoint! A Duchess whose beauty is matched only by her cunning; her husband’s dangerous affair with a handsome scholar; a Foreigner in a playground of swordplay and secrets; and a mathematical genius on the brink of revolution—when long-buried lies threaten to come to light, betrayal and treachery know no bounds with stakes this high. Mind your manners and enjoy the chocolate in a dance of sparkling wit and political intrigue.

You can subscribe to it, so that you get one episode, each week for $1.59. There's an audio version included with the text, which would be somewhat like listening to a radio drama serial I suspect (I so listen to the The Archers..) Or you can just buy each episode at your leisure (though that option does cost more at $1.99 per text episode, or with audio at $2.99..).

There's an iOS app for the Apple heads out there, but I can't access it due to being a 'droid girl, so I'm not quite sure what it does.. though I think it acts like an e-reader, that downloads each episode automatically,. You can download them for your normal reader in .mobi, .epub and .pdf

In any case, it seems like a really intriguing idea, especially for those that can only read in short bursts. I imagine people that ride public transport, would find this idea especially ingenious. I wonder how many series they will get going in the future?

Anyway, if it sounds like your type of thing, go check out the free episode... I do think I will be subscribing! Cause my tbr pile is just not big enough.. :)

K.