bookfrivolity

Book Frivolity.....

Speculative Fiction Reviews, Interviews, Art and Whatever Else!

Stone of Farewell
Tad Williams
The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns)
Django Wexler
Tallwood
Jeremy Kool, Steve Gerlach & Amanda Kool
Beyond Redemption by Michael R Fletcher. Image by Book Frivolity. (dopplegangers from Lineage II)
Beyond Redemption - Michael R. Fletcher

Book Depository | Booktopia
Amazon | Amazon UK | Amazon Aus

Sunday Afternoon Reads: This week, a rather grim fantasy: Beyond Redemption by Michael R. Fletcher. As I was previously of the mind probers ilk, I am finding Beyond Redemption extremely interesting.. It explores some psychological phenomena, and concepts, in a throughly unique, and intriguing way. It has my previous self, all in a squee..

Back'o'book:

A darkly imaginative writer in the tradition of Joe Abercrombie, Peter V. Brett, and Neil Gaiman conjures a gritty mind-bending fantasy, set in a world where delusion becomes reality . . . and the fulfillment of humanity's desires may well prove to be its undoing.

Faith shapes the landscape, defines the laws of physics, and makes a mockery of truth. Common knowledge isn't an axiom, it's a force of nature. What the masses believe is. But insanity is a weapon, conviction a shield. Delusions give birth to foul new gods.

Violent and dark, the world is filled with the Geisteskranken—men and women whose delusions manifest, twisting reality. High Priest Konig seeks to create order from chaos. He defines the beliefs of his followers, leading their faith to one end: a young boy, Morgen, must Ascend to become a god. A god they can control.

But there are many who would see this would-be-god in their thrall, including the High Priest’s own Doppels, and a Slaver no one can resist. Three reprobates—The Greatest Swordsman in the World, a murderous Kleptic, and possibly the only sane man left—have their own nefarious plans for the young god.

As these forces converge on the boy, there’s one more obstacle: time is running out. When one's delusions become more powerful, they become harder to control. The fate of the Geisteskranken is to inevitably find oneself in the Afterdeath. The question, then, is:

Who will rule there?

Well, I'm certainly not putting my hand up for the job, thanks.. So far, it's 50 shades of fantastic Grimdark, I expect the world will turn to ash by the end! Gee! It would be fantastic if the publisher were to release the second instalment… I guess, we can always delude ourselves into thinking it happens, and therefore, it shall manifest.. * whistles innocent tune *