bookfrivolity

Book Frivolity.....

Speculative Fiction Reviews, Interviews, Art and Whatever Else!

Stone of Farewell
Tad Williams
The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns)
Django Wexler
Tallwood
Jeremy Kool, Steve Gerlach & Amanda Kool

A Really Quick Kristymas Eve Book Review: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard

This is a world divided by blood – red or silver.

The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change.

That is, until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of power.

Fearful of Mare’s potential, the Silvers hide her in plain view, declaring her a long-lost Silver princess, now engaged to a Silver prince. Despite knowing that one misstep would mean her death, Mare works silently to help the Red Guard, a militant resistance group, and bring down the Silver regime.

But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance – Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart ...

Well, it's certainly a fairly cliched and trope-ish YA dystopian; however, I still read it in one sitting, it was still quite exciting in most parts, and it worked better than many in the genre I've recently read.

So, it might not have been the most original, but it was certainly the most convincing, the most intelligently written, and the only one of the many that have come out post-hunger-games that I'm going to read the sequel to.

Aveyard is also extremely good in her ability to work descriptions, and her actual writing skills surprised me with their acuity (not sure why surprised.. I think it's been a long road of pretty uninspiring writing in this field recently?)

In the end, it worked very well as a quick, entertaining read, that doesn't need hours of in-depth analysis post-ending (which is not necessarily a bad thing!).

Verdict:

In all honesty, I was so entertained during one particular section, I did a bit of this:

And walked into a door jamb!