bookfrivolity

Book Frivolity.....

Speculative Fiction Reviews, Interviews, Art and Whatever Else!

Stone of Farewell
Tad Williams
The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns)
Django Wexler
Tallwood
Jeremy Kool, Steve Gerlach & Amanda Kool
A Corner of White by Jaclyn Moriarty. Image by Book Frivolity (parking meter from the Fallout wiki)
A Corner of White: The Colours of Madeleine 1 - Jaclyn Moriarty

Sunday Afternoon Reads: I had just a tiny bit too much fun doing this SAR image for A Corner of White by Jaclyn Moriarty (book one from The Colours of Madeliene series)...

This version is actually toned down from all the sparkle-larkles I had in the original! Didn't want to blind anybody..

In any case, this is one amazing Oz YA fantasy so far! I'm not sure exactly how to explain it... It has this 'The Magicians' by Lev Grossman kind of twist that's blowing me away; it's incredibly quirky, yet amazingly philosophical!  There's all this unexpected depth hidden amongst all the humour, that has me hooked on every weirdly structured chapter. I haven't read a YA like this in a very long time.. I'm extremely  excited to have all three books in the series here, so I may be mainlining them straight until I'm done!!

Back'o'Book:

This is a tale of missing persons. Madeleine and her mother have run away from their former life, under mysterious circumstances, and settled in a rainy corner of Cambridge (in our world).

Elliot, on the other hand, is in search of his father, who disappeared on the night his uncle was found dead. The talk in the town of Bonfire (in the Kingdom of Cello) is that Elliot's dad may have killed his brother and run away with the Physics teacher. But Elliot refuses to believe it. And he is determined to find both his dad and the truth.

As Madeleine and Elliot move closer to unraveling their mysteries, they begin to exchange messages across worlds -- through an accidental gap that hasn't appeared in centuries. But even greater mysteries are unfolding on both sides of the gap: dangerous weather phenomena called "color storms;" a strange fascination with Isaac Newton; the myth of the "Butterfly Child," whose appearance could end the droughts of Cello; and some unexpected kisses...

I have yet to see kisses... I wonder who is kissing whom?!?

The first two in the series A Corner of White, and The Cracks in the Kingdom are out now, and A Tangle of Gold is out in March 2016.. (psst. stay tuned! I am doing a Q&A with Ms. Moriarty in late March!)