bookfrivolity

Book Frivolity.....

Speculative Fiction Reviews, Interviews, Art and Whatever Else!

Stone of Farewell
Tad Williams
The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns)
Django Wexler
Tallwood
Jeremy Kool, Steve Gerlach & Amanda Kool

Quick Comic Review: Harley Quinn - Hot in The City!

Harley Quinn Vol. 1: Hot in the City (The New 52) - Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti

Fresh from BATMAN: DEATH OF THE FAMILY and SUICIDE SQUAD, Harley Quinn returns to her first solo series in the New 52! The writing team of Jimmy Palmiotti (ALL STAR WESTERN) and Amanda Conner (BEFORE WATCHMEN: SILK SPECTRE) unleashed Harley on an unsuspecting DC Universe, as she encounters various heroes and villains ... and leaves no one unscathed in her wake! With art by Chad Hardin and a slew of comics' best artists including Darwyn Cooke, Sam Kieth, Tony S. Daniel, Paul Pope, Walter Simonson and Art Baltazar!

Collects HARLEY QUINN #0-8

Grab it from Amazon

Am I the only one that loved the guts out of this? Harley is slapstick funny, the violence is gratuitous, the jokes as daggy as all get out, and the dark, yet overly saturated graphics look absolutely stunning!

I giggled hyena-like throughout most of it, and although the story line isn't exactly high literature, it's strong enough to support the over the top nature of Harley (and the gangs) characters. Harley is sexy, but not overly sexualised; her relationship with Poison Ivy is sweet without becoming a horn boys wet dream.. I really enjoyed this New 52 version of Harley, in which her character doesn't revolve solely around The Joker (he's mentioned once, or twice, but only in passing).

Rock on! I'll definitely be reading the next collection. Hopefully the rest of the N52 gives this much agency to its female characters!