bookfrivolity

Book Frivolity.....

Speculative Fiction Reviews, Interviews, Art and Whatever Else!

Stone of Farewell
Tad Williams
The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns)
Django Wexler
Tallwood
Jeremy Kool, Steve Gerlach & Amanda Kool

Book Review: The Malice by Peter Newman

The Malice - Peter C. Newman

In the south, the Breach stirs.

Gamma’s sword, the Malice, wakes, calling to be taken to battle once more.

But the Vagrant has found a home now, made a life and so he turns his back, ignoring its call.

The sword cries out, frustrated, until another answers.

Her name is Vesper.

Thanks to Harper Voyager Australia for the review copy.

I love Newman's writing. It's as poetic as it is intelligent, beautiful as it is brutal. However, The Malice wandered about feeling plotless for the first 300 pages. I just didn't feel.. Involved? Not sure if that's the right word exactly, but when a book takes me a month to finish, there's usually a good reason that it's just not gripping me by the lapels and screaming into my face to finish it. In this case, I believe it's because it felt muddled until around page 350..

I suppose I could understand it from an academic standpoint; there's possibly a literary device there to help underpin and highlight Vesper's unplanned adventure. The reader feels just as lost as the MC. You feel that 'not sure what's next' feeling. I just didn't really want to feel so lost.. I've got real life to do that in.. :)

To be utterly honest, the most empathy I felt for a character, was for the kid goat... And I really need that connection to at least one character, to feel truly involved. I don't have to like the characters, but I do need to feel something toward them. Dislike  is just as powerful..

It's entirely possible it was just the wrong time for me to read it, as I felt nothing of this during The Vagrant. I almost feel like I'm betraying The Vagrant by being so apathetic toward The Malice!

I will absolutely still read #3; there's a need in me to understand this world more fully, and the enjoyment I feel from Newman's wordery is worth every second spent. So, let the adventure continue....